I hope you have had a wonderful summer with your family and friends! I am looking forward to finally introducing you to your new classroom, teachers and garden! We will spend lots of time exploring your new learning environment and getting to know each other better.
We will be starting the new term by learning all about Toys! I am sure you are experts on this and I can't wait to hear about your favourite toys at school and at home. We will be diving into the past and identifying old and new toys too. I wonder how many you will recognise.
In Maths, we will revisit and expand our knowledge of numbers. In Year 1, we will be working through the White Rose scheme along with lots of practical and interactive tasks too. You will have lots of opportunities to use the classroom tablets to use Doodle and other Maths games to practise your skills and apply new ones!
In English, we will be practising our pencil grip, handwriting and use of capital letters, finger spaces and full stops. Alongside this, we will be having daily phonics lessons too! We will be revising sounds and practising our application to our spelling words as well as learning some new ones!
Reading is such a special part of school. I can't wait to use our carpet time to travel to some magical places by reading stories together.
- Guided reading groups will be on a daily basis with lots of opportunity for independent book looks, shared reading and using tablets to listen to audio books.
- Please remember to bring your reading record to school each day. This is a great way to keep communication between school and home.
- You will take home two reading books and a library book each week. There is no set date to change these books. We want to encourage you to read as much as possible and develop a love for reading. Whenever you have finished your books and want new ones, just bring them along to school and then we can change them as little or as often as suits you.
Daily routine reminders:
- PE kit needs to be worn on Thursdays and Fridays.
- Homework is given out on a Friday evening and can be returned from the following Wednesday.
- Please bring your book bag and reading record to school every day.
- Water bottles are welcomed.
- Snack will be provided by school each day.
I look forward to a great year ahead and getting to know you all!
Miss Bethan Morris
Year 1 Teacher